MIGHTY App for Young Men’s Health – Applied Informatics Releases its Next ResearchKit Study Appby Shweta Mishra
Men don’t like to talk about their sexual health and activities but they sure do have many questions related to it that they are not sure where to get answers from. Also many young men need more information and counseling on their sexual behavior so they can prevent pregnancy.
The new study app developed by the tech team named MIGHTY (Motivational Interviewing For Getting Healthy Today), is part of a behavioral study designed by Columbia University to help young men reach their health goals when used together with motivational interviewing sessions provided by a trained coach.
What is the goal of this study?
The goal of the randomized controlled trial for which this app is developed is to:
- Produce tools necessary to study young men’s high risk behavior related to sexual activity.
- Study the effect of mobile app assisted motivational interviewing on fitness, diet and lifestyle modification as compared to that used for high risk sexual activity behavior modification in young men.
What is MIGHTY study app supposed to do?
As a part of this study, the MIGHTY app is supposed to aid motivational interviewing of young men about their sexual behavior which might lead to pregnancy. In other words, the app will gather behavioral data on young men’s diet, exercise, smoking status, alcohol use as well as sexual activities.
Based on the data gathered via this app, these young men will also receive counseling from lifestyle coaches through the app. The participants will be provided remuneration for data entered, which will be tracked by the app.
What are the features of this app?
The MIGHTY app gathers data from participants as well as presents data and educational material to the participants. All the data gathered is stored in servers at Columbia University, so that it can be used by investigators to create reports for CDC and analyse effectiveness of the intervention.
The app has the following features:
- The app allows for individual login / password reset for each user so as to avoid the inconvenience of having to protect usernames and passwords.
- It allows participants to modify privacy settings and allows encryption of sensitive data.
- The app collects consent and demographic data from the participants.
- It provides for periodic long and short term assessments as per the study protocol.
- As part of motivational interviewing, the app allows participants to go through a card sort game to decide on life priorities, normally, done via index cards. Also, it allows participants to enter 5-6 life goals at the beginning of the study which can be changed later.
- The app allows display of separate sets of educational materials and feedback data for the 2 groups involved in the study.
In addition, the MIGHTY app allows the participants to communicate with their coaches and investigators via text messages or calls.
To access this app, you need to be a participant in the MIGHTY study designed by Columbia University.